People and governance
Lending Works' biggest strength is its team. Everything we do is researched, designed and implemented by one of our talented colleagues, therefore we place a significant emphasis on finding people with the right skills, values and experiences to support the business. It is also our people that drive our governance, including performing effective risk management and ensuring our business is robust and resilient.
Board of directors
The board of directors is responsible for overall governance of the company. Many of the board members are FCA approved persons, as is a requirement for them to fulfil their role at Lending Works.
- Simon WaughChairman of Lending Works' Board, member of the Shield Board and member of the risk and audit committeeSimon's extensive experience in CEO, executive director and non-executive director roles at firms such as British Gas, The AA, Goldfish, Saga, CMC Markets and others, gives him the skills required to assist the firm in achieving its vision and objectives. Like Nick and Matt, Simon is passionate about customers and Lending Works' values.
- Nick HardingCo-founder and CEO of Lending Works, member of the Shield Board and member of the credit risk committee, risk committee and risk and audit committeeAfter studying Computer Science at the University of Liverpool then joining RBS/NatWest, Nick was well placed to see the potential of applying a modern, technology-led and customer focussed approach to financial services. Nick is fanatical about customer experience and achieving Lending Works' vision.
- Matthew PowellCo-founder and CFO of Lending Works, member of the Shield Board and member of the credit risk committee, risk committee and risk and audit committeeAfter qualifying as a Chartered Accountant at EY, Matthew spent almost a decade working with clients across a range of sectors, including FTSE 100s and multinationals, before co-founding Lending Works. Matthew studied Accounting at the University of Liverpool, which is where Nick and Matthew originally met.
- Melanie GowardNon-executive Lending Works board memberAfter her PhD from the University of Cambridge in genetics and her involvement in the Human Genome Project, Melanie moved into technology and growth-stage business investing with firms such as Nesta, Lloyds, Finance Wales and her current role at Maven Capital Partners.
- Ishaan ChilkotiNon-executive Lending Works board memberHaving started life as an investment banker and at a mid-market private equity fund, Ishaan has spent the past few years supporting growth businesses, most recently for NVM Private Equity. Ishaan has a BA in Engineering from the University of Cambridge and a Masters in Engineering Management from Duke University in the United States.
Senior leadership team
As well as Nicholas Harding (CEO) and Matthew Powell (CFO), the following team members make up Lending Works' senior leadership team. This team is responsible for the day to day running of the company, as well as being members of different committees within the firm's governance framework.
- Ines MaiaHead of Risk, member of the Shield Board and member of the credit risk committee, risk committee and the risk and audit committeeInes leads the development and implementation of our risk management function. Ines has more than 10 years experience in portfolio credit risk, decisioning and analytics across unsecured retail lending products. Prior to Lending Works, Ines was Senior Portfolio Manager for Personal Loans at a UK high street bank, as well as spending a few years working in financial services with Deloitte.
- Rajiv PuriHead of Compliance, General Counsel and member of the risk committeeAfter qualifying as a solicitor in 2008, Rajiv spent a number of years as legal, regulatory and compliance counsel with a range of financial services institutions including American Express and Vanquis Bank before joining Lending Works in January 2016. Rajiv helps to ensure that we comply with our legal and regulatory requirements and protect our customers.
- Felipe FarfanCTO of Lending Works and member of the risk committeeFelipe has almost two decades of experience in technology and development roles across North America, South America and Europe, comprising sectors such as Media, TV, Gaming and Finance. Felipe holds a Computer Science Engineering degree from Universidad de San Buenaventura, Colombia, and is passionate about the application of technology to financial services.
- Richard LitchfieldHead of Operations and People and member of both the credit risk committee and the risk committeeRichard is responsible for Operations and People at Lending Works, which include our Customer Experience team, Underwriting team and our Collections team. Before Lending Works, Richard worked for Nationwide in a range of senior operational roles focusing on service improvement, underwriting and fraud mitigation.
Lending Works' governance framework pursues the effective control of the risk profile within the risk appetite approved by the Board while enabling fast, efficient decision making with a minimum of bureaucracy and waste.
The Board meets every month to review performance, strategy, risk and governance while delegates authority to four committees: